So, you’d like to add a light kit to your Hunter Ceiling Fan? Adding a light kit adds light (yes, an obvious statement) but it also adds a sense of decor to a room. A light kit is a useful accessory because now the fan can accomplish both the purpose of providing light in a dark room, as well as cooling (or warming) the room. If you weren’t aware that it’s possible to warm a room with a ceiling fan too, be sure to read more about ceiling fan direction. It’s definitely worth the read.
Before you purchase a Hunter Ceiling Fan Light Kit to mount onto your fan, you’ll want to make sure the light kit you’re buying is compatible. Typically, you can check the compatibility of the light kit with your fan by looking at the product description of the light kit. It’ll say that its compatible with fan models this one, that one, etc. If there’s no details on the light kit as to which fans it’s compatible with, we recommend to hold off on purchase and to peruse other light kits instead. There’s so many out there nowadays that it makes sense to do your research before going ahead and committing to a purchase.
Installing a Hunter Ceiling Fan Light Kit – Step by Step:
- The first and likely most important part, is to ensure that power is turned off to the fan. That does not mean simply to turn off the switch on the wall – you need to turn the power off at the breaker. You can double check the power is off by trying to turn the fan on.
- The next step is to check for the housing assembly. It’s usually hidden underneath a cover in the middle of the fan. Remove the middle plate to expose the wiring and check for the wires that you need. The wires you are looking for is a black wire and a white wire that are not attached to anything. Look for a wire that is labelled lighting power. If you have both of these wires, you’re good to go!
3. Get up there on a ladder, and pull the fan down so that you can work on it. It’s a lot easier to pull the fan down and work on it, then it is trying to install the light kit with it hanging from the ceiling
4. You’ll need to connect the light kit wires first and use wire nuts to keep them in place. Black goes to black, white goes to white.
5. Once the wires are connected, you can physically attach the light assembly to the fan.
6. Once the wires and the light kit are physically connected, you can re-attach any center plates as needed and put the screws back in.
7. If the light kit has any light bulbs, shades or pull chains, you can now finish the installation by attaching these as well.