Hunter ceiling fans are known for their quality of construction, and reliability in the industry today. However, occasionally even the best ceiling fan may start showing wobbly blades. This means that you need to balance your fan. If the fan is left to rotate this way, it can cause damage to the fan. Plus it is also annoying. It’s important if you notice your fan starting to wobble, that you repair the issue. This will lead to better air efficiency and the fan will have a longer life span due to it.
1. Check the screws that attach the blades to the blade holders. Make sure the blades are tight in their mountings to prevent wobbling.
2. Check all the fan blades and wipe them all down with a damp rag. Removing dirt helps to balance the fan. Remove all the dust, dirt etc. and check if the fan still wobbles after.
3. Use a measuring tape to check the length from the tip of each fan blade, to the ceiling. All the blades should have the same measurement from the tip of the blade to the ceiling. If any are under or over the measurement from the others, then your blades might be bent slightly up or down at the blade holder. If the fan is still wobbling at this point, you will need to purchase a balancing kit.
4. Bring your fan balancing kit home and open it up. There should be a plastic clip-on weight and several metal weights which are stick-on. Find the middle point of the blade. Measure the blade, divide the span/length by 2. This is the middle. At the middle point, attach the clip-on weight. Turn the fan on. If the wobble gets worse, go to the next blade until the wobble stops. Once the wobble stops or becomes less you have found the blade that is unbalanced.
5. Use the clip-on weight to go up and down the unbalanced blade. When the wobble stops, you have found the source of the problem. Remove the plastic weight and attach a metal stick-on weight. The problem is resolved.Keep the weights somewhere safe in case another blade becomes unbalanced someday. Older fans have more chance of become unbalanced. If your blades are becoming unbalanced regularly, check your installation and ensure it is correct.
Keep the weights somewhere safe in case another blade becomes unbalanced someday. Older fans have more chance of become unbalanced. If your blades are becoming unbalanced regularly, check your installation and ensure it is correct.